January’s Student of the Month features none other than Miss Sarah Fuqua. Sarah is dedicated to dance, her friends, her family, and the students of ROOTS Dance that she graciously gives her time to each week in an assistant role. Sarah’s warm and joyful personality lights up whatever room she is in, and she is a wonderful asset to the ROOTS Dance family!
“Sarah helps with many of our dance classes, and she is so reliable and dedicated to the ROOTS program. Everyone loves Sarah!”
Jessica Stillman, ROOTS Dance Program Coordinator
- How long have you been dancing?
- Ever since I was little, I would make up dances or put together little performances. I didn’t start taking classes until I was about 12, and I have been dancing ever since. This December makes it my third year at ROOTS.
- What do you like to do in your free time?
- I love to create things in my free time, whether that be baking, art or even little routines. There is no limit to a creative person.
- What do you want to be when you grow up?
- I would love to become a missionary in Central America, specifically Guatemala. I have a heart for orphans all around the world and I plan to serve where ever God calls me.
- What are you reading right now (or what was the book you most recently read)?
- I recently have read Kisses from Katie, which is about a woman serving in Uganda. It was an amazing book filled with stories of her journey in mission work.
- How has dance made an impact on your life?
- Dance has truly made an impact in my life by having the chance to teach people how to dance ranging from all different ages. I have had the amazing chance to mentor students at Roots Academy who share the same passion as I do.
- Who is your role model and why?
- My role model would have to be my mother. She wanted to pursue gymnastics later in her life at the age of twelve and everyone told her she couldn’t. She ended up becoming a UCF professional gymnast and proved everyone wrong. She always works hard on everything she does.
- Coffee order?
- I will have a Chai latte, please.
- What’s your favorite song/type of music to dance to?
- I love anything Florence + The Machine. That girl has an amazing voice.
- Do you have any hidden talents? What are they?
- Haha, this is kind of a goofy question. I think one of my hidden talents is being able to get babies to fall asleep on me in under 15 minutes.
- What inspires you?
- Seeing children who have less than I do enjoying life more than I do. It’s really humbling.
- Tell us 3 things that you care most about in life.
- 1. My family 2. My friends 3. My dogs