The spotlight is shining on Miss Paige Lewis this month. Paige is only 11 years old, but she has been writing her own songs since she was 8. We have had the opportunity to mentor Paige the past 3 years, and her talent and dedication to her craft are inspiring. This young songwriter has a bright, bright future ahead of her – move over, Taylor Swift!
What inspired you to become a songwriter?
- Who are the artists that you aspire to be like? When I started taking singing lessons when I was 8, I realized that my passion was creating songs to sing in my lessons. I really admire new country artist Cam, Colton Dixon, and my neighbor Kree Woods who is a singer/songwriter.
Do you have a process for writing songs? Lyrics or music first? Do you prefer a certain place to be or a specific time of day?
- I feel like I have a process after I get an idea but the idea for the songs I feel like God gives to me to inspire other people…they aren’t songs for me they are songs that I think God wants people to hear. I usually do one phrase and find a melody that goes with it and then the rest just flows. I write whenever it comes to me…I never try to force a ding out of me, it just happens in its own time.
Here is Paige performing one of her originals, “Guess What”. Follow her on her Youtube channel to hear more of her amazing songs!
What instruments do you play? Do you enjoy playing one more than the other?
- I play guitar and a little piano, but guitar is definitely my favorite!
Who is your role model and why?
- Jesus is my role model because He is the ultimate role model and I want to be more like Him everyday.
Finish the sentence: “My dream is…”
- My dream is to help as many people as I can whether that is through songwriting, missions,or starting an organization.
If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- Donuts, duh!
Tell us something we don’t know about you.
- Last year I went on my first mission trip to Haiti with my family and can’t wait to go back soon! And I have a guinea pig with a mohawk named Murphy!